In its current form, VTG originated from VTG Vereinigte Tanklager und Transportmittel GmbH, which was founded as a state-owned enterprise in 1951 and privatized in 1961 in the framework of the sale to Preussag - now the TUI Group. The roots of VTG along with its subsidiaries extend as far back as the 19th century.
During its 45 years of being part of Preussag and later the TUI Group, VTG concentrated on the Wagon Hire business area, but also operated in inland shipping and the tank farm business. By means of various targeted acquisitions and disinvestments, the business operations were oriented towards the following three segments: Wagon Hire, Rail Logistics and Tank Container Logistics. Since the IPO in June 2007, the VTG Aktiengesellschaft has been listed on the official Prime Standard market of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange – since September 2008 on SDAX index too. The Compagnie Européenne de Wagons S.à r.l., a company, the majority of whose shares are held by funds managed by the international investment group based around WL Ross & Co LLC, New York, USA, is the main shareholder in VTG Aktiengesellschaft.
The main milestones of the company include in particular:
- Rail Logistics Division restructured and with unified market approach; focus on three product segments: liquids, agricultural goods and industrial goods
- Doubling of vehicle fleet in North America due to acquisition of the business activities of SC Rail Leasing America; merger with Texas Railcar Leasing and change of name to VTG Rail
- 60 years of VTG – jubilee, among other things with the exhibition “A look back to the future” at Hamburg headquarters dealing with the past, present and future of the VTG Group
- Purchase of Railcraft group of companies and thus entry into the CIS and Baltic markets with a fleet of about 870 wagons
- Acquisition of vehicle fleet (about 300 mineral oil wagons) from the Italian competitor Sogerent
- Foundation of "OOO" VTG Russia including a sales office in Moscow
- Closing of the acquisition of the wagon hire company Texas Railcar Leasing Company Ltd. (1,000 rail freight cars) and entering of the North American rail freight market
- VTG takes over the wagon manufacturing division of the Graaff Group
- Joint venture of VOTG Tanktainer GmbH with the Chinese company Cosco Logistics; Shanghai Cosco VOTG Tanktainer Ltd.
- VTG share is listed on the sub-segment SDAX
- Sales of VTG by Tui to Compagnie Européenne de Wagons S.à.r.l.
2004 to 2007
- Strengthening of the Wagon Hire segment by approx. 6,500 wagons through the acquisition of the rail freight car and tank container fleet of Algeco S.A., Paris, France; as well as the fleets of OMV AG, Vienna, Austria; of Rexwal Finance S.A., Zug, Switzerland; of Railtrans, Cologne, Germany and of Nordwaggon AB, Bromma, Sweden
- Acquisition of the European Rail Logistics activities of the Australian Brambles Group and thus an expansion of its wagon fleet by approx. 23,000 wagons
- Foundation of VOTG Tanktainer GmbH
- Cooperation on TRANSWAGGON AG
- VTG takes over the majority of Transpetrol GmbH Internationale Eisenbahnspedition
- First Tank Container activities
- Privatization as part of the sale to Preussag - today TUI-Gruppe
- Foundation of VTG Vereinigte Tanklager und Transportmittel GmbH